Sunday, February 1, 2009

Karaoke! BY CAYLA DENGATE

Blonde Insights:

Cayla Dengate

I remember my first time like it was yesterday: the nervous anticipation, fumbling fear and climatic excitement as it ended.

I’m talking about karaoke.

In Australia, singing in public is a big social taboo. Only the best singers - and those whose confidence is misproportionate to their talent – sing in front of people. I am neither, and managed to get to 23 without ever singing outside the safety of my own room.

Then came the Philippines – where karaoke is practically a national pastime. About one hour after the plane touched down in Manila, a microphone was thrust in my face. I tried to say no but my new-found friends picked an 80s ballad and suddenly, I was the unwilling center of attention.

The song’s introduction was mercifully long, but as the melody kicked in, I knew I had to sing. I closed my eyes and a strange warbling note, like a cat being run over by a bike, came out of my mouth. 

I prayed for a brown out, but the song kept going, dragging me along behind it. It was one of the most terrifying experiences of my life – and did I mention I’ve swum with sharks?

But at the end, no one booed, no one heckled me, everyone cheered and the next person stepped up to murder a song.

Here in the Philippines, there seems to be no shame in belting out a line of Rhianna’s Umbrella on the jeepney or breaking into a Mariah Carey solo while doing the shopping. This complete lack of self consciousness made me realise how uptight Australians can be.

We don’t sing or dance for fear of being embarrassed but here, anyone will grab a microphone and belt out a tune.Then there’s the dancing, my fiancĂ©e – who never dances – and I were riding home last week when we saw a fiesta in full swing. The dance floor was filled with people shaking their limbs to Santeria. 

It was the type of reckless fun I only remember partaking in as a child. It seems that part of growing up is denying yourself the fun of dancing like no one’s watching or singing like no one’s listening.

I think I’d rather be a child.

(The author of this column is Ms. Cayla Dengate,24, an Australian journalism professor, who is right now doing team teaching with the Filipino faculty members at the Journalism Department of Bicol University College of Arts and Letters. She is staying for at least eight months in the Philippines.)

2 comments:

  1. hehe. You'll never forget Philippines because of Karaoke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it should be "climactic excitement" - as in culminating in climax - rather than "climatic excitement" as above.

    ReplyDelete